What are the key ingredients and steps in creating an authentic Tiganites, as part of a traditional Greek breakfast
Savor a Traditional Greek Breakfast with This Authentic Tiganites Recipe
Athens may be the cradle of civilization, but Greece’s true allure lies in its culinary prowess. Just think of biting into a slice of creamy Feta, drizzling aromatic olive oil over a salad, or tucking into a culinary icon of home-cooked comfort – Tiganites (Greek pancakes). Here is an authentic Tiganites recipe to help you experience a traditional Greek breakfast like never before.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sparkling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Olive oil, for frying
- Honey and cinnamon to drizzle and sprinkle on top
- In a bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Pour in the sparkling water and stir the mixture well to ensure consistency.
- Add olive oil to the mixture, stirring thoroughly to avoid lumps.
- Heat up a non-stick frying pan over medium flame and drizzle it with olive oil.
- Using a tablespoon, drop dollops of the batter onto the hot pan. Don’t overcrowd the pan, you might need to work in batches.
- Fry each side until golden brown, for about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from the pan, and continue with the remaining batter.
- Once all the pancakes are cooked, drizzle with honey, sprinkle some cinnamon, and serve warm.
Tips and Suggestions:
For a savory version of Tiganites, omit the sugar and serve with feta cheese and olives. You can also add fruits, nuts, or even Greek yogurt on top for a hearty breakfast!
In the realm of breakfast foods, the traditional Greek Tiganites stands as a unique delight. Its crispy exterior coupled with its fluffy interior forms a harmonious blend of textures sure to make your breakfast a fantastic meal. So, gather your ingredients, heat that pan, and treat your taste buds to an exquisite traditional Greek breakfast that will transport you straight to the heart of the Mediterranean.