What traditional Greek ingredients are included in the “Savor the Morning” breakfast recipe?
Savor the Morning: A Traditional Greek Breakfast Recipe to Kickstart Your Day
Welcoming the morning sun with a healthy, satisfying breakfast is a revered ritual for many. In the land of Greece, start-of-day meals are a hearty symphony of local, fresh products that satiate the taste buds and kickstart the day’s vitality. Today, we aim to bring a piece of this Mediterranean paradise to your table with a typical Greek breakfast recipe – a delicious Greek Omelet (Strapatsada) paired with Greek-style Coffee.
Greek Omelet (Strapatsada)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 large ripe tomato
- 1 small onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, and sauté until translucent.
- Add the grated tomato to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Allow the mixture to simmer until the tomato juice is absorbed.
- Beat the eggs in a separate bowl and pour them over the tomato mixture. Stir well.
- When the eggs begin to set, stir in the crumbled feta cheese.
- Cook until the eggs are done to your liking, sprinkle the chopped parsley on top, and serve.
- 2 teaspoons Greek coffee
- 2 sugar cubes (optional)
- 2 cups cold water
- Pour the cold water into a briki (small Greek coffee pot). Add the coffee and sugar (if using), and stir until dissolved.
- Place the briki over low heat. As the coffee warms, it will start to froth. Do not stir – let it rise.
- As the froth reaches the top of the briki, remove it from the heat and serve your coffee immediately, ensuring each cup gets an equal amount of froth.
If you want to savor the morning just as a local Greek would, pair this breakfast with a view of the sunrise and some quality family time. This meal will set a positive tone for the day ahead and transport your taste buds straight to the sun-kissed terrains and blue waters of Greece.
Whether the morning hue finds you around a cozy kitchen table or in a bustling cityscape, this traditional Greek breakfast recipe will help you greet the day with spirit and gusto. Enjoy the richness of Greek cuisine right at your home, and remember, each day holds the promise of a fresh start – so savor the morning!