What substitutions are made in the recipe to create a vegan version of souvlaki?
Are you tired of the same old veggie burgers and salads during your plant-based meals? Try out this vegan version of the classic Greek souvlaki dish that is sure to satisfy your cravings!
- 1 block extra-firm tofu, pressed and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 4-6 skewers
- Warm pita bread for serving
- Tzatziki sauce for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Add tofu, red onion, and bell peppers to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Thread tofu and vegetables onto skewers.
- Grill skewers for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally, until tofu and vegetables are charred and slightly softened.
- Serve souvlaki with warm pita bread and tzatziki sauce, if desired.