How can I make this chickpea and spinach spanakopita recipe vegan?
Spanakopita is a traditional Greek dish made of spinach, feta cheese, and phyllo pastry. However, for those following a vegan diet, this recipe has been adapted to use chickpeas and spinach instead. It’s just as delicious and satisfying, and perfect for a healthy and filling meal. So why not give it a try?
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 10 sheets of phyllo pastry
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large pan, sauté the onion and garlic in a little bit of olive oil until soft.
- Add the spinach, chickpeas, parsley, dill, milk, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper to the pan, and stir until well combined.
- Unfold the phyllo pastry sheets, and place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Spray each sheet with olive oil spray and stack 5 sheets on top of each other.
- Spread the chickpea and spinach filling evenly over the top of the phyllo pastry stack.
- Stack the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo pastry on top of the filling, spraying each sheet with olive oil spray as you go.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing into portions.