What are the key ingredients to a traditional Mediterranean dinner recipe?
Are you craving something delicious, healthy and easy to cook? Look no further than the Mediterranean for inspiration! This region is known world-wide for its food, which is not only flavorful but also promotes good health. At the heart of this cuisine is Greek food, which is rich in vegetables, olive oil, and fresh herbs. In this recipe, we will take you on a culinary tour of Greece by showing you how to make one of its most traditional and beloved dishes: Moussaka.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 ripe tomato, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, for frying
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash and slice eggplant, season with salt and pepper and fry in oil until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the lamb and onion, then add garlic, tomato paste, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Sprinkle flour over the lamb and stir in 1 cup water, scraping the skillet to loosen any browned bits. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk together flour and milk in a saucepan; cook over medium heat until boiling. Stir in Parmesan cheese, nutmeg and salt. Cook for 2 minutes more and set aside.
- Butter the bottom of a large baking dish and layer half of the eggplant on the bottom. Top with half of the sliced tomatoes then pour the lamb mixture over the tomato layer and repeat the layers with the remaining eggplant and tomatoes.
- Pour the cheesy sauce over the top and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes, and serve hot.
Congratulations! By following this recipe, you have completed a culinary tour of Greece and have experienced one of its most traditional and beloved dishes: Moussaka. We hope you have enjoyed this delicious meal and that it has inspired you to explore more Mediterranean flavors in your cooking. What’s your favorite Greek dish? Let us know in the comments below!