What substitutions are made to traditional souvlaki ingredients to make this dish vegan?
Souvlaki is a popular Greek dish made with small pieces of meat grilled on a skewer. It is usually served with pita bread, tzatziki sauce, and vegetables, and it is a staple on the menus of Greek restaurants all over the world. However, if you are vegan or vegetarian, you don’t have to miss out on the delicious flavors of souvlaki. This mouthwatering Greek vegan souvlaki recipe is a delicious twist on the classic dish, and it is perfect for anyone who wants to enjoy a healthy, flavorful, and satisfying meal.
- 1 block of firm tofu, pressed and cut into small cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into small pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1 zucchini, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Pita bread, warmed
- Tzatziki sauce (recipe below)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic powder, dried oregano, salt, and black pepper.
- Add the tofu cubes, red onion, red bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, green bell pepper, and zucchini to the bowl. Toss to coat everything in the marinade.
- Thread the tofu and vegetables onto skewers, alternating the tofu with the vegetables.
- Grill the skewers for 10-12 minutes, turning occasionally, until everything is cooked through and charred on the edges.
- Serve the souvlaki on warm pita bread with tzatziki sauce on top.
- 1 cup vegan yogurt (such as soy or coconut yogurt)
- 1 small cucumber, grated and drained
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Serve with the souvlaki or as a dip for vegetables.
Enjoy your delicious, healthy, and vegan souvlaki!