What are the key ingredients necessary for creating a vegan version of moussaka?
Moussaka Madness: A Delicious Vegan Twist on a Greek Classic
Moussaka is a popular Greek dish made traditionally with lamb, beef, or eggplant. This vegan version is a healthier and kinder twist on that classic recipe.
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brush the eggplant slices with olive oil and place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 20-25 minutes, flipping once, until tender and golden brown.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add the cooked lentils, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg, black pepper, and salt to the skillet, and stir well. Cook for 10-15 minutes until the mixture has thickened. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a separate saucepan, whisk together the flour and soy milk until well combined and smooth. Place the saucepan over medium heat and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add nutmeg, nutritional yeast, and salt to taste.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil. Layer half of the roasted eggplant slices on the bottom of the dish. Add the lentil mixture on top of the eggplant and smooth it out. Add another layer of eggplant slices on top of the lentil mixture and pour the soy milk mixture over the top.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over the top of the casserole. Cover with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the top is golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let the moussaka cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.