What traditional Greek lunch dishes can be found in this recipe?
Greek cuisine is renowned for its fresh and flavorful ingredients that tantalize the taste buds. One of the most beloved Greek dishes is the classic moussaka, a savory and satisfying casserole made with layers of eggplant, ground beef, and tomato sauce. However, moussaka can be a time-consuming and daunting dish to make, especially for beginners. If you’re looking for a quick and easy way to enjoy the exotic flavors of Greece on a weekday afternoon, try this simple and delicious Greek lunch recipe that you can make in under 30 minutes.
- 4-6 whole wheat pita breads
- 1-2 cups of tzatziki sauce (store-bought or homemade)
- 1 lb of cooked chicken breast, shredded or sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- A handful of kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- A handful of fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Cut the pita breads in half and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spread a generous layer of tzatziki sauce on each pita bread half.
- Add the shredded or sliced chicken on top of the tzatziki sauce.
- Add the sliced tomato, red onion, and olives on top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle fresh parsley or cilantro on top of the veggies.
- Bake the pita breads for 10-15 minutes or until the edges are slightly golden.
- Serve warm and enjoy your deliciously authentic Greek lunch!
- If you’re vegetarian, you can substitute the chicken with roasted eggplant or pumpkin for a meatless version.
- You can also add some crumbled feta cheese on top for an extra tangy flavor.
- If you’re short on time, you can use store-bought rotisserie chicken instead of cooking your own.
- Don’t skip the fresh herbs, they add a vibrant and aromatic touch to the dish.