What are the key ingredients in this authentic Greek beverage recipe?
Opa! Prepare for a Refreshing Taste of Greece with This Authentic Beverage Recipe
Greece is famous for its delicious food, stunning beaches, and ancient ruins, and it also has a rich drinking culture. One of the most popular alcoholic beverages in Greece is Ouzo. This anise-flavored drink is similar to Italy’s sambuca or France’s pastis.
- 2 cups of water
- 1 cup of sugar
- 10 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bottle of ouzo
- Ice cubes
- In a saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add the star anise and cinnamon stick. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from heat and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Add the ouzo to the mixture and stir well.
- Add ice cubes to a glass and pour the ouzo mixture over it.
- Garnish with lemon or orange slices if desired.
- Enjoy your delicious Greek Ouzo!
- Ouzo tends to turn cloudy when mixed with water or ice and that’s completely normal.
- If you prefer a sweeter ouzo, increase the sugar by 1/4 cup or to taste.
- The longer you simmer the anise and cinnamon, the stronger the flavor will be. Adjust the cooking time to your taste.
There you have it, a refreshing and authentic beverage recipe for Ouzo! It’s a perfect drink to enjoy during a hot summer day or a cozy evening with friends and family. Opa!