What are some common ingredients used in Greek cuisine and how do they contribute to the overall flavor of the dish?
Opa! Enjoy the Flavors of Greece with this Delicious Greek Lunch Recipe
- 1 pound of ground lamb or beef
- 1/2 cup of diced onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 pita breads
- Tzatziki sauce
- Chopped tomatoes and onions
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté until softened.
- Add the ground meat and cook until browned, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as it cooks.
- Add the tomato paste, cinnamon, oregano, allspice, nutmeg, salt, and pepper, and stir until the meat is coated.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the meat simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, warm the pita breads in a toaster or on a griddle.
- Stuff each pita with some of the meat mixture, and top with tzatziki sauce, chopped tomatoes, and chopped onions. Serve immediately.
Experience the delightful flavors of Greece with this aromatic and delicious Greek lunch recipe. The mix of spices and hearty meat combine to create a mouthwatering dish that will take your taste buds on a trip to the sunny Mediterranean. Serve it alongside some fresh veggies or a simple Greek salad for the ultimate lunch experience.
Bon appétit! Share your thoughts in the comments below and let us know what other Greek recipes you love.