What are the traditional ingredients used in authentic tzatziki sauce?
Drink Like a Greek: How to Make Authentic Tzatziki & Ouzo Cocktails
Greek cuisine and culture are known for their rich flavors and social nature. And when it comes to drinks, Greeks have some unique and delicious options to offer. In this recipe, we’ll show you how to make two classic Greek beverages: Tzatziki and Ouzo cocktails. These refreshing drinks are perfect for the summer, but they can also be a great way to add some mediterranean flair to your parties anytime of the year.
Tzatziki is a yogurt-based sauce that’s typically served with grilled meat or as a dip with vegetables. It’s also a great drink base because of its tangy and refreshing taste. Here’s how you can make it:
- Peel and grate 2 medium cucumbers
- Place the grated cucumbers in a fine-mesh strainer and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Let the cucumbers sit in the strainer for 10 minutes, then squeeze out any excess liquid.
- Combine the cucumbers with 2 cups of plain Greek yogurt, 2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic, and 1 tablespoon of chopped fresh dill.
- Mix everything together and let it chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- When you’re ready to serve, stir in some ice cubes and garnish with a slice of cucumber and a sprig of fresh dill.
Ouzo is an iconic Greek spirit that’s often enjoyed as an aperitif or a digestive after a meal. It’s a clear liquor that’s made from anise and has a licorice-like taste. Here are two easy and tasty ouzo cocktail recipes:
- Combine 2 oz of ouzo, 1 oz of freshly squeezed lemon juice, and 1 teaspoon of honey in a shaker.
- Fill the shaker with ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a slice of lemon and a sprig of fresh thyme.
- Fill a glass with ice and add 2 oz of ouzo.
- Add 3 oz of sparkling water or soda, 1 oz of freshly squeezed orange juice, and a splash of cranberry juice.
- Stir everything together and garnish with a slice of orange and a fresh rosemary sprig.
Drinking like a Greek is not just about the taste, it’s also about the experience. So, when serving these drinks, make sure to enjoy them with friends, good food, and great conversation!
Now that you know how to make authentic tzatziki and ouzo cocktails, it’s time to invite some friends over and start experimenting with different variations. Remember that Greek drinks are all about the social aspect, so don’t forget to enjoy them in good company. Opa!