today we will cook a Greek beef stew with onions or as we say in Greece, Stifado!
Traditionally the recipe is prepared with rabbit but I will show you how to cook it with stewing beef.
600 g stewing beef, cut into portions
800 g pearl onions
1 can chopped tomatoes
500 ml water
100 ml olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspoon nutmeg
8 allspice berries
I prepare this meal in the pressure cooker. This ensures that the meat is as tender as possible. If you don’t have a pressure cooker, you can of course use a simple pot. The cooking time is then doubled, or you can regularly check how soft the meat is and then take the pot off the stove.
1. Heat the olive oil in a pressure cooker and fry the meat on all sides.
2. Take the meat out of the pan, cover it and set aside.
3. Peel the onions and place in the pressure cooker with the remaining olive oil. Fry for 5 minutes while stirring.
4. Add the red wine vinegar, stir and then add the meat.
5. Add the chopped tomatoes, the water, the bay leaves, the sugar, the allspice and the nutmeg and stir well. The salt is only added after the food has been cooked.
6. Put the lid on, wait until you can see both straws of the pressure cooker and then cook on a very low heat until all the air has escaped from the pressure cooker (approx. 30-45 min).
7. Open the pressure cooker, add salt and stir again briefly.
Arrange everything nicely on a plate, ideally fry some pommes, add them also to the plate and enjoy!
As always, I look forward to your feedback!
Happy cooking and Kali Orexi!