These flaky and crisp Greek phyllo cones are filled with pastry cream, decorated with whipped cream, and garnished with your favorite toppings. Trigona Panoramatos are a beautiful dessert option for an elegant dinner party.
Buy a star tip here: https://amzn.to/2DUd30r
Print this recipe here:
Makes 26 cones
For the cones:
• ½ pound phyllo pastry, thawed and at room temperature
• ¾ pound unsalted butter, melted
For the Syrup:
• 2 and ½ cups granulated sugar
• 2 cups water
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
For the Pastry Cream:
• 4 cups whole milk
• ½ cup (85 grams) corn starch
• 1 and ½ cups granulated sugar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 8 egg yolks
• ½ cup heavy whipping cream
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the whipped cream:
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 -2 tablespoons confectioner’s sugar
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Chopped pistachios
• Sliced almonds
• Chocolate ganache
• Chocolate chips
• Ground walnuts
Preheat the oven to 320 °F, 160 °C.
Make the Syrup by combining the sugar, water, and cinnamon stick together in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir and as soon as the sugar dissolves remove the pan from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Set aside to cool completely.
Make the Pastry Cream:
• Place the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until scalding hot.
• Combine the egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar, salt, and cornstarch in a large bowl and whisk until smooth.
• Add some of the hot milk to the egg mixture and whisk together.
• Add the egg mixture to the milk and cook over medium heat stirring constantly until thickened.
• Stir in the butter and vanilla extract.
• Pass the pastry cream through a sieve into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to cool and refrigerate until chilled.
Make the Phyllo Cones:
• Crumble 26 small strips of parchment and create little balls.
• Cut the phyllo into 3 equal portions, if working with the full sheets. Cut the smaller sheets in two equal pieces.
• Place one strip on a clean work surface and drizzle with some melted butter. Place a second strip of phyllo on top and drizzle with some butter. Place the third strip of phyllo on top and do not drizzle any butter over the top layer.
• Fold the bottom of the phyllo into a triangle and continue folding upwards, keeping the triangle shape.
• Cut the triangle in half to form 2 little triangles.
• Open up the center of each triangle and place the ball of parchment inside. This will help them form a cone shape while baking.
• Continue forming the cones and place them on 2 baking trays lined with parchment paper.
• Brush all of the cones with the melted butter and bake in the center rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden all around.
• Carefully remove the parchment balls and dunk each cone in the cooled syrup for a few seconds.
• Place the cones on a cooling rack to drain and set.
Make the whipped cream:
• Combine all of the whipped cream ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk on high speed until thickened. Keep chilled until ready to use.
Assemble the Cones:
• Place the pastry cream in a piping bag or in a resealable plastic bag with the tip snipped off. This will make it very easy to fill the cones.
• Place the whipped cream in a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
• Fill each cone with the pastry cream.
• Decorate the tips with whipped cream.
• Garnish with your favorite toppings and serve.
Official Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/dimitrasdishes
Here are links to some of my favorite cooking tools. The links take you to Amazon where I’m proud to be an affiliate partner 🙂
My cutting board: http://amzn.to/2e2p8ED
Kitchen Aid Mixer: http://amzn.to/2dQXU0b
Food Processor: http://amzn.to/2eXcvZd
Madeleine Pan: http://amzn.to/2dQU1sm
Cheesecake Pan: http://amzn.to/2eXaGeQ
Vitamix Blender: http://amzn.to/2eXcvbH
Nonstick pan: http://amzn.to/2eL804t
Cast iron pan: http://amzn.to/2dQYfjs
Pastry Bag: http://amzn.to/2e2v0xD
Half sheet baking pans: http://amzn.to/2fcv7cD
Thanks for watching! I’d love to see your recreations of these dishes so please share pics with me on social media 🙂
Don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE and spread the word so that we can make the world more delicious!