Pavliani – Central Greece. Once upon a time, in these virgin forests, the Greeks believed that in the springs and rivers there were fairies and nymphs, while in the high mountains lived the Gods… Since then, no matter how many changes have taken place, the Greek countryside remains authentic and unchanged, always able make your worries go away and fill you with joy, oxygen and rejuvenation!
Pavliani, this traditional village of Roumeli is located 207 km or almost 3 hours north of Athens, near the city of Lamia. It is built on the slopes of Oeta mountain, at an altitude of 1050 m., at the entrance of a beautiful forest where the thriving nature delights all five senses of the visitor. It’s true! The village of Pavliani will excite you with its beauties and surprises! A place where natural beauty meets the artistic side and the goodness of the locals.
Top activities in Pavliani
– Discover the river of Pavliani and the green valley in the famous park of the village. Everything here matches perfectly and makes you have an unforgettable time! In every corner there is a new detail to surprise you! Musical bridges, paintings, riverside hammocks, outdoor gyms, colorful tree houses, mythical animals and lots of fun. Kids and adults here become while playing games and laughing, in the magic of the Forest! Enjoy a walk under the trees, full of passion for life and along with the creative aesthetics of a group of local artists!
– In the taverns of the village you will eat as if there is no tomorrow. Juicy meats properly cooked, fresh salads and appetizers are all delicious! Everything you need after hiking and playing! The Madamia café-bar has wonderful pastries, such as orange and chocolate pie, a lighted fireplace and a very warm atmosphere!
– Pavliani in snow! The irresistible white landscape is waiting for you to dive into it, a PERFECT scenery and a truly unforgettable experience. Covered with white veil of snow, it takes you on another dimension. The sounds now are different, the landscape looks alpine and its charm continues to be non-negotiable.
Everything is different in the snowy Pavliani. Always beautiful, always hospitable!
– The humor and artistic approach of a group of local artists will amaze you! The village hides inspired corners, clever illustrations and places ideal for photography. Forget everything and start browsing the streets, yards, windows, walls, even the trash cans!
And the truth is that you will not detach yourself from the beauties of Pavliani! You will always want more!
– In Pavliani there are many marked trails for all tastes, short or long hiking and mountaineering routes, easy and relaxing or more demanding. Either way, nature will reward you richly!
– Look for the churches and chapels in the area. Always built in special locations. Take a break and light a candle making a wish!
Pavliani: whatever season of the year you visit this blessed place of Greece, the excursion will be unforgettable …!
Oeta National Park.
Bralos, an amazing route in the forest
Gravia, the famous traditional village of Roumeli
Amfiklia, a winter destination
Tithorea, heroism, tradition and hospitality become an irresistible combination
Gorgopotamos. At this striking point, a golden page of heroism and resistance was written when the bridge of the same name was blown up in 1942.
Cafe – Restaurants
In Greek mythology, Oeta is chiefly celebrated as the scene of Heracles’ death and funeral pyre. The remains of a 3rd-century BC Doric temple dedicated to Heracles and his funeral pyre, as well as an altar and ruins of adjacent buildings, still survive at the entrance of the Katavothra plateau at a height of 1,800 m, near Pavliani.
Mountain and coast, relaxation and adventure all richly wrapped with a freshness that only nature can provide. Ancient Greeks felt its elemental force that brought them closer to their gods. Today, it breathes its life into all who visit and take a little of its essence home with them.
In the heartland of a great country lies one of its best kept secrets. A holiday destination most definitely deserving of attention, Central Greece is quite simply overflowing with the essence of life in all its various forms and all harmonizing perfectly with each other.
History and myth sit side by side with unsullied nature, great mountains, inviting you to imbibe on their fresh air and accept their many challenges, as they combine with vast swathes of coastline offering the chance for a thorough battery recharge.
On locating the centre of Greece, you will immediately discover your own point of equilibrium and sense of genuine balance. You would expect nothing less from a region in which you can literally breathe in the stuff of life, drink its potent elixir and in a matter of moments feel its reinvigorating energy coursing through body and soul.
#greeceGuide #traditionalvillages #GreeceAttractions